Sunday 8 February 2015

It's always easier said than done.

I just ended a phone call with my friend. Well let's just name my friend, X. X had some relationship issues going on and needed to talk it out. We had a long chat and found myself giving "sound advices" to guide X to the right train of thoughts. What I shared probably hit X like a ton of bricks; X agreed for the most part because it's very relatable, I presume. It's almost like I know it all. Then it got me thinking... It's always easier said than done.

Everyone needs a listening ear at some point in life. Everyone also becomes someone else's listening ear at some point in life. It can be about anything -- school, work, family, relationship etc. When we share our opinions, sometimes it's based on our real life experiences, sometimes it's just based on what we think is right. You may be wondering: Does what I say really helps? Am I even saying the right thing?

My point is, there is no right or wrong. It's just a human behaviour - a need to communicate our feelings and thoughts to someone else, in an attempt to find peace within or at least see some light at the end of the tunnel. When we speak as an outsider, we see things very differently from the person who's in it. We probably know what's the "logically right thing" to do. Despite knowing that it's gonna hurt, we'd probably still trust our gut feeling and decide to speak the harsh truth instead, something which the person involved might have been trying to block off, simply because it hurts. It may now feel like you've done something good, or rather necessary to help your friend. But think again, would you be able to do it yourself?

Let me be honest with you: there's a very high chance that I wouldn't be able to do what I said. Haha what a joke right? Of course, I was very open to tell X that it's always easy to say, but hard to do. It then got me thinking and I finally realized why I would say what I had said -- The absence of emotions.

It's not that I had no emotions when I was sharing my thoughts; it's just that lack of real emotions felt by the person involved. I'm sure everyone knows that it's extremely tough to think straight when emotions get in the way. It's like you know what's right but you just can't do it right, yet. Now that explains why I was able to speak logically, not because I know it all. Then again, who's to say what's right or wrong?

No comments:

Post a Comment